Thursday, April 16, 2009

EOC Wk One-Lawyers

The definition of a lawyer is a person learned in the law; as an attorney, counsel or solicitor; a person licensed to practice law. I have not had too much experience with working with lawyers personally. My family has dealt with them in the past. I asked my parent’s if they had any experience with lawyers and this is what they told me. Mom said that most lawyers she worked with are good people. When she was involved in an accident her lawyer took care of her. He was very professional but had a deep care and understanding of her situation. She had nothing but good remarks about lawyers. My step dad on the other hand had a very different perspective about them. Most of the lawyers he has worked with have been terrible. He hasn’t had one good experience with lawyers. Most have turned his lack of knowledge in the law to their advantage. He once went through two lawyers to win back some insurance money he had lost. Both proved to be incompetent in their supposed field of practice but good at sending invoices. By the time he hired a third lawyer it was too late. The first two had messed up so bad that they couldn’t pursue the case anymore. My step dad wasted a lot of money. My step dad says that lawyers tend to complicate the law. Over the years they have turned law into a secular system that only other lawyers can understand. He wishes that there were a more simplified practice of the law. After hearing these two very different perspectives of lawyers I have decided that lawyers are like everyone else in a profession. There will be good people who genuinely want to help. There will also be bad people who are only out to get your money.

1 comment:

  1. Seth’s blog on lawyers

    My thoughts on this blog were they had a lot of key points on the way lawyers are perceived in the system. What his mom said that there good ones that show justice and then there are the lawyers that are bad and don’t go by the law. I completely agreed that lawyers are like any other profession. There’s the good and bad side to any profession. I do feel that lawyers that can be incompetent but there is so many other professions or people that are as well. Layers are sneaky in so many ways for sure but there are some that you can also trust. The ones in Vegas though aren’t as bad as California’s. I can definitely relate to the car accident comment I had a great lawyer when I was in a car accident. His staff was great and he was a great lawyer.
    Allison Dickerson

    ReplyDelete