Thursday, April 16, 2009

EOC - WK 2

What I think about the law.
I think the law is well balanced in our country. Coming into the class I wasn’t quite sure what to think of law as a whole. I started reading about all the different aspects of the system and it really drew me in. The first couple of chapters have fascinated me and I surprised myself at the level of interest I have in the subject. The reading on the different types of criminal law sparked an interest in me. I loved reading about white collar crime and larceny. I have worked for companies in the past where some employees have committed some of these crimes. I once worked for a clothing store where an employee of ours was stealing money from the cash register. He eventually got caught and it was estimated that he stole about ten thousand dollars in merchandise. I knew it considered theft but now I know it’s called a larceny. I once lived in a neighborhood where a house down the street caught on fire. The police came and the family currently living in the house had lost most of their possessions. The awkward thing was that the night before they had a moving truck in front of their house. They ended up being investigated for arson because they tried to get the insurance money. The husband went to jail and I think he’s still locked up. The law fascinates me because there are so many ways to steal or cheat your way through life. But the government has created an amazing system that punishes these people from cheating the system. Law is an ever growing system that continues to stop crime and brings justice to those who have been wronged. I look forward to reading more about government and law this quarter.

1 comment:

  1. Seth seems very enthusiastic about the law and learning more from our class. It’s good how he gives specific examples of times in his life that he’s witnessed crimes and torts and their consequences. He draws in whoever is reading the blog and makes them think that learning about law is really interesting. I like how it’s as if he was telling a story about his journey to learning about the law and how excited he was about the different kinds of crime. He could make it better by saying more of his opinions about the law in addition to what he already said about what he’s learned.

    ReplyDelete