Thursday, June 18, 2009

My own argumnt

My own argument.

I agree with the ruling of the case. I thought the court’s decision were fair and balanced. The court looked at both sides and it was pretty clear who had made the injustice. The court provided valid reasons why this Arkansas statute was out of line. It was wrong for the state of Arkansas to have a law that forbids the mentioning of evolution in a classroom environment. I think Justice Stewart put it best, “The States are most assuredly free 'to choose their own curriculums for their own schools.' A State is entirely free, for example, to decide that the only foreign language to be taught in its public school system shall be Spanish. But would a State be constitutionally free to punish a teacher for letting his students know that other languages are also spoken in the world? I think not.” This was definitely an interesting case for me to research. Being a Christian myself, I’ve had mixed feelings about the subject. On one hand I have my faith and on the other I have the government. I would like the word of god to be known as much as possible but at the same time I know it would be wrong to share that in a public school system. I understand that church and state must be separated in order to have a balanced government. For instance, the only reason I supported the Arkansas school board was because it shared the same beliefs as me. If the school system taught the beliefs of another religion I would be angry. I see the errors in my ways. A person has to want to believe in god. You can’t force them otherwise.


http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/Epperso.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment